I help companies manage information and address their regulatory challenges.
Managing a diverse and broad practice, Jack Pringle counsels clients in matters relating to privacy, information security, information governance, administrative and regulatory law, public utilities, securities and class action litigation.
With an Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US) designation from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Jack helps businesses protect, manage and communicate information lawfully and effectively. He guides clients through information incidents, data breaches and related threats in connection with federal and state breach notice and personal information and privacy laws, including notification, mitigation, regulatory response and resulting lawsuits and investigations. Jack helps organizations strengthen their information security programs by evaluating potential cybersecurity insurance coverage, developing and testing incident response plans and helping clients create and implement appropriate security policies and training.
Appellate and Litigation
Jack has appeared before the South Carolina Court of Appeals and the South Carolina Supreme Court more than 15 times, including seven appearances before the South Carolina Supreme Court. In addition, he litigates a variety of matters before the South Carolina Administrative Law Court and state and local government entities, including local and state tax cases, certificate of need (CON) applications, procurement matters, environmental permitting cases, disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) applications and alcohol licensing applications.
Administrative and Regulatory Law
Jack draws on his wide range of experience when representing clients needing guidance on a variety of compliance matters. Since 1996, Jack has appeared in more than 250 dockets at the South Carolina Public Service Commission, representing public utilities and transportation companies on a variety of regulatory issues. Jack regularly provides advice and counsel on various privacy requirements, including those in HIPAA, GLB, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, and the Telemarketing Sales Rule.
Jack also advises clients on promotions, creating sweepstakes and contest rules for numerous promotions, online and otherwise, in order to ensure that these promotions do not constitute illegal lotteries under various state laws.
Zoning and Land Use
Jack assists developers, telecommunications companies and property owners in obtaining permits and approvals, and also addresses environmental permitting, compliance, remediation and enforcement matters.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 1990
- South Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
Areas of Practice
- Financial Services
- Privacy, Cybersecurity and Data Management
- Transactional IP
- Financial Services Regulatory / Operations
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Renewable Energy
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Privacy and Data Security Law, Administrative/Regulatory Law
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Columbia Administrative/Regulatory Law, 2021
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly, 2020
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Leadership Columbia, 2003
- Columbia United YMCA Recreational Youth Soccer League, former volunteer coach