“Joining the U.S. Marine Corps before graduating law school at Samford gave me an incredible foundation for teamwork, discipline, and leadership, that I have honed into nearly a decade of a legal practice representing Birmingham businesses across a diversification of industries.”
Jonathan Metz assists both the Adams and Reese Litigation Practice and the Global Trade, Transportation and Logistics Practice Group. He has additional experience in insurance, workers’ compensation, construction and manufacturing defect cases, personal injury and tort, contract law, and bankruptcy law.
Before Adams and Reese, Jonathan was an associate and trial attorney at several Birmingham law firms, including founding and managing his own law firm. His representative experience includes:
- Civil insurance defense litigation of cases through every stage of the litigation process in Alabama’s state and federal courts
- Defending personal injury and property damage lawsuits and prosecuting subrogation cases across Alabama’s state and federal courts
- Litigating workers’ compensation defense, trucking, general insurance defense, and construction and manufacturing defect cases in Alabama district/circuit/federal courts
- Advising insurance companies, self-insured funds, employers, and companies in all aspects of civil defense litigation, including workers’ compensation defense, general insurance defense (personal injury/premises liability), construction/manufacturing defect, and breach of contract cases
- Liability and valuation analysis of workers’ compensation, insurance defense and construction and manufacturing defect cases
Jonathan received his J.D. in 2015 from the Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, where was a member of the Dean’s List, Judge John Edwin Horton Inn of Court, Intellectual Property Society, Phi Alpha Delta, and was selected for advanced skills in trial advocacy.
He earned his B.A. in Psychology and Criminal Justice in 2011 from The University of Alabama, where he was a member of the Dean’s List.
Following college, Jonathan entered the United States Marine Corps, where he received a Meritorious Mast, and was an Honor Graduate of the U.S. Marine Corps Communications Electronics School. In the Marines, Jonathan was an elected class non-commissioned officer, appointed squad leader, and advanced in military combat training. He received an award of excellence for his performance as a class non-commissioned officer, and academic performance as a student at the electronics school. Jonathan received an Honorable Discharge.
In the community, Jonathan is a lay reader for the U.S. Marine Corps. He also volunteers for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and Valleydale Church. He is a former Eagle Scout.
- Cumberland School of Law Samford University, J.D., 2015
- University of Alabama, B.A., 2011
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Alabama
Areas of Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute - Trucking Committee, Workers’ Compensation Committee
- United States Marine Corps – Lay Reader
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation – Event Volunteer
- Valleydale Church – Preschool Volunteer