I have an extensive background in casualty, commercial and personal injury litigation, and my practice primarily involves trucking liability, labor and employment and civil rights claims.
Jarrad Garner has represented several major LTL trucking companies for almost 20 years, serving as primary litigation counsel in Mississippi. He has handled the full range of transportation liability matters, including general casualty, cargo loss and complex multi-fatality accident claims.
Jarrad’s employment-law experience includes single-plaintiff as well as complex litigation in the areas of wage and hour and FLSA claims, Title VII and Title IX discrimination and retaliation matters of all types, FMLA, ADA, ADEA and other employment-related litigation. Jarrad also counsels clients with respect to general labor and employment advice through formulation of employment practices policies, risk management techniques and loss prevention and training and instruction in the area of human resources.
Jarrad’s civil rights practice is focused in the area of defending government entities and government contractors with respect to claims of violations of the Fourth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Millsaps College, B.B.A., 1996
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Mid-South Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Business Litigation 2009-2013
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- The Mississippi Bar
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Federal Bar Association
- Hinds County Bar Association
- Jackson Young Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
- Mississippi Trucking Association
- Madison County Chamber of Commerce, Board President
- Obtained partial summary judgment in favor of a trucking company in a death case regarding a plaintiff’s economist expert’s opinion regarding damages. Client was able to obtain a very favorable resolution based on damages being greatly limited.
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements in complex death cases
- Counseling during the course of a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration audit
- Obtained summary judgment in several cases involving claims of race and gender discrimination and retaliation
- Obtained summary judgment related to a plaintiff’s claim of wrongful discharge under Mississippi state law, particularly under the McArn doctrine
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements for clients in complex employment litigation
- Successfully defended a private corrections company in a number of claims brought by inmates alleging constitutional violations, either by way of summary judgment or favorable resolution
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a government entity related to a plaintiff’s claim of excessive force during an arrest