Timely problem solving is the most rewarding part of my practice. I love helping business leaders solve complex problems before they grow out of control.
Rob Breunig is a creative, business-oriented lawyer, who strives to educate and add value to each of his clients. Rob serves as outside general counsel for national and regional transportation companies, including motor carriers and air carriers. He drafts and negotiates transportation agreements between air carriers, motor carriers, shippers, freight forwarders and third-party logistics providers. He also advises aviation clients on taxation, transactional and regulatory compliance issues.
Rob also focuses his practice in representing companies in mergers and acquisitions, with a significant focus in the areas of executive compensation and employee benefit plans. He represents strategic buyers and target companies, advising on areas of executive employment, severance, equity and other compensation arrangements. He also provides general corporate and tax representation, including drafting corporate documents, business organization, and other tax issues.
Rob’s benefits practice extends beyond the deal context. To this end, he provides technical knowledge and advice to employers, associations and trustees on all aspects of corporate and regulatory compliance, as well as ERISA and fiduciary compliance. He counsels clients on investment diversification, securities compliance, tax qualification and plan administration of qualified and non-qualified plans and association-sponsored group benefit plans. Rob drafts and revises plan documents and employee communications, investment policies and investment management agreements, trust agreements, and other plan service-provider contracts. Rob has also formed and worked with numerous association health plans (AHPs), and helps associations and trustees navigate complex health plan issues with an emphasis on fiduciary compliance.
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2012
- University of San Diego School of Law, LL.M., 2013
- University of Massachusetts Lowell, B.A., 2006
- United States Tax Court
Areas of Practice
- Mid-South Rising Star® (by Thomson Reuters) Employee Benefits, 2018-2021
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Tennessee Trucking Association
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- Nevada Bar Association
- Represented national motor carrier in negotiating a $225-million syndicated credit facility
- Represented a private equity group in the acquisition of a national robotic lawn maintenance franchisor
- Corporate transactional matters including business entity formations, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and related tax planning, and drafting partnership agreements and LLC operating agreements, as well as corporate governance documents, bylaws, and shareholder agreements
- Benefit plan design, administration, ongoing fiduciary compliance, and terminations, DOL and IRS voluntary correction programs, and DOL and IRS audit representation