I practice primarily in the areas of insurance law, business law and commercial litigation. I frequently represent clients in the insurance industry, including acting as outside general counsel to several companies.
Tim Volpe is ranked Band 3 in Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory Law in Florida by Chambers USA.
Timothy W. Volpe advises clients in commercial litigation, insurance litigation, and insurance industry matters, including the formation, reorganization, purchase and sale of insurance companies and agencies.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 1982, with honors
- University of Florida, M.A., 1982, Political Science in Public Administration, high honors
- University of Florida, B.A., 1979, Interdisciplinary studies, with a certificate in Eastern European Area Studies, high honors
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Washington, DC
- President of the Riverside Rotary Club, 2017-2018
- Member of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Commodore Florida Yacht Club, 2018
Areas of Practice
Chambers USA has named Tim a Recognized Practitioner in Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory: Florida, 2023. Florida Trend magazine has named Tim as one of Florida’s “Legal Elite” each year since 2007 and Super Lawyers magazine has placed him in the top 5 percent of attorneys in the state in business litigation and insurance coverage law each year since 2007. Tim is a top-rated lawyer in Insurance Law in Martindale Hubbell and American Lawyer Media 2015; Best Lawyers® – Arbitration, Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation - Insurance; Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Insurance, 2016 and Arbitration, 2023; Jacksonville Magazine Lawyer of the Year 2017; and Jacksonville Business Journal Ultimate Lawyer Award-Business Litigation 2017.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- DC Bar
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce
- Transportation and Logistics Council, Executive Council
- 1st District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission, Appointed by Florida Gov. Rick Scott
- Riverside Rotary
- Florida Yacht Club: Commodore, 2020; Vice Commodore, 2019; Rear Commodore, 2018; Board of Governors
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce: General Counsel, 2019-21; Executive Committee Member, 2019-21; Board of Directors, 2017-21; Chair, Federal Policy Advocacy Committee, 2017-18
Some highlights of Tim’s representative experience include multiple receivership representations for Florida Department of Insurance:
- Including the largest life and health insolvency in Florida resulted in settlements in excess of $100 million against junk bond dealer, major accounting and law firms and company principals
- An Insolvency of a workers’ compensation carrier including reinsurance arbitration recoveries in excess of $20 million
Licensing and regulatory work for multiple insurance companies in the homeowners’, commercial, workers compensation, and health insurance lines and most recently, the first monoline structured settlement annuity company in the U.S.
Handling a multifaceted, multistate dispute among disputing family owners of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and trusts which included: multiple evidentiary hearings involving injunctions relating to partnership and trust dissolutions, appeals including arguments before Nevada Supreme Court and Florida District Court, a multiday evidentiary hearing to enforce a settlement agreement, a multi-hearing arbitration to equalize distribution to the partners, and obtaining partial summary judgments as to critical matters including ownership of substantial property and misuse of partnership assets