My background as an estimator for a concrete and masonry contractor in southwest Florida gave me an in-depth and first-hand experience of the issues facing our local construction industry. I have combined that experience with the legal skills I have gained in my construction practice to consult contractors, design professionals and suppliers on their business operations and legal needs.
Tray Batcher is a board-certified construction lawyer by The Florida Bar, representing clients in all aspects of construction law, including collections, contracts, lien law, bond law, construction defect litigation, OSHA defense and licensing.
Tray is recognized by his peers among Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars and Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch in Construction Law and Litigation: Construction.
Tray is an active member of several construction and roofing industry trade associations, including Associated Builders & Contractors, National Roofing Contractors Association, Florida Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Contractors Association, Florida Roofing and Sheet Metal Contractors Association, Pinellas County Contractors Association and West Coast Roofing Contractors Association.
Prior to practicing law, Tray worked in the construction industry as an estimator and project coordinator for a concrete and masonry contracting company. His job duties included estimating, bid submission and contract negotiation, project scheduling and coordination of trades, as well as the general day-to-day duties of running a construction business. This business experience has helped Tray better understand the operations of his clients through his legal work.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2013
- Florida Gulf Coast University, B.S., 2011
- Edison State Community College, Associate of Arts, 2008
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- Board Certified in Construction Law, The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch - Construction Law, Litigation: Construction, 2021-2024
- Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2019-2023
- The National Law Journal, Lawyers of Distinction, 2020
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite Up & Comer, 2017-2022
- Tampa Magazine, Top Lawyer, 2020
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- Associated Builders & Contractors
- Florida Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association, General Counsel
- Florida Roofing and Sheet Metal Contractors Association
- National Roofing Contractors Association
- Pinellas County Contractors Association
- West Coast Roofing Contractors Association
- Collier Building Industry Association, Past Member
- Represented a prime contractor against a public entity. Reversed a termination for default, freeing the performance bond and obtaining payment on outstanding change orders.
- Represented a subcontractor in a dispute involving bad checks and unpaid invoices. Obtained a judgement over $500,000.
- Represented a general contractor in a dispute with its customer involving defective designs. Obtained payment of the full contract balance.
- Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Construction Law
- World of Concrete Industry Training: CSDA Estimating