My practice centers on favorably resolving disputes as quickly and efficiently as possible. In some cases, a negotiated settlement makes the most sense for a client’s business. When it doesn’t, I am ready and eager to take cases to trial.
Adam Massey is a first-chair trial attorney with significant experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in state court, federal court, and arbitration proceedings throughout Texas. His work focuses primarily on complex commercial and tort litigation, including matters involving contract and breach of warranty disputes, all aspects of the upstream oil and gas industry, construction defects, personal injury claims, and products liability claims.
Adam also serves as Liaison Partner Associates for Adams and Reese. In that role, Adam is responsible for the training and development of all associates across the firm’s footprint.
The Five-Hour Trial and Motions to Dismiss, 18th Annual Insurance Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law/State Bar of Texas, November 8, 2013
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude
- University of Texas, B.A., 2004
- University of Seville, Seville, Spain, 2003
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Adam is an active member of St. Luke’s First United Methodist Church and The Children’s Fund, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping early stage charities fulfill their mission to provide critical services to disadvantaged children across the greater Houston area. Adam also spends his spare time coaching youth sports
Areas of Practice
- Super Lawyers® Up-And-Coming 100 Attorneys under 40 (2019 – 2021)
- Texas Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Civil Litigation: Defense (2014-2021)
- South Texas Law Review, Member
- Shea Maloney Advocacy Award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy
- Order of the Lytae
- Successfully defended one of the world’s leading international pump manufacturers accused of breach of contract and breach of warranty in a jury trial for over $13 million in actual damages. At the end of trial proceedings, plaintiff recovered $0 from defendant.
- Successfully defended a trucking company in a personal injury jury trial in which the plaintiff sought more than $10 million in damages.
- Successfully prosecut a piercing the corporate veil claim against the president of a defunct oil and gas company, thereby holding the president personally liable for his company’s debt.
- Successfully prosecuted numerous breach of contract lawsuits through trial for an oilfield service client seeking recovery for unpaid work.
- Successfully reversed trial court orders refusing to enforce arbitration provisions through appeals to both the Fifth and Thirteenth District Courts of Appeals for the State of Texas.
- Obtained a full and final summary judgment for a Texas oil and gas company accused of fraud, conversion, violation of the Texas Theft Liability Act, and conspiracy in a federal case in which the plaintiff sought more than $270 million in damages.
- Obtained a full and final summary judgment for a lending institution accused of violating the Texas Constitution, violating the Texas DTPA, and fraud in a federal case in which the plaintiffs sought to declare a home equity loan unconstitutional and recover over $1 million in damages. The district court’s ruling was appealed to, and affirmed by, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained an early, favorable settlement for an international oil and gas company accused of fraud and breach of contract in a federal court proceeding in which the plaintiff sought more than $50 million in damages.
- Obtained pre-trial, voluntary dismissals in favor of defendants accused of fraud, breach of contract, and malicious prosecution.