As a former petroleum landman, I am able to better understand oil and gas, real estate, and forestry clients’ needs thanks to my hands-on experience in the courthouse record room and in the field dealing with various title issues, production companies, mineral interest owners, and surface owners. No matter how complex a project might be, from permitting to litigation, I aim to help clients keep projects moving so they can reach their business goals.
Adams and Reese Partner Alexander Bondurant practices primarily in forestry, real estate, energy/oil and gas, and renewable energy, representing a variety of forestry clients across the Southeast as a member of the firm’s Forestry Practice Team.
Alex assists clients with drafting real estate and forestry contracts and agreements, and negotiating and closing diverse transactions. His experience includes the sale and purchase of commercial buildings, industrial facilities, and timberland in a number of states.
Alex represents timberland investment management organizations (TIMO) and real estate investment trusts (REIT) in sales and acquisitions of forestry land, handling title services and the drafting of deeds and closing documents, and working closely with opposing counsel to resolve issues to arrive at successful closings. In a niche part of his practice, Alex helps forestry clients with carbon marketing agreements and other carbon credit matters.
Alex is a former petroleum landman and title abstracter, and with broad experience in title and oil and gas law, Alex brings a great deal of knowledge about the field to serve clients in oil and gas legal matters. He is experienced with the well permitting process and serves as an advocate for clients for all matters before the Mississippi Oil and Gas Board matters.
Alex is experienced in examining and preparing oil and gas leasehold, preliminary and division order title opinions, mineral right and royalty transfers, overriding royalty transfers and assignments of various interests. He has worked on complex oil and gas litigation, adverse possession and boundary line disputes, subdivision covenants, and other title-related litigation matters.
Alex has served as President of the Mississippi Oil and Gas Lawyers Association and as Associate Director of the Mississippi Association of Petroleum Landmen.
For forestry and oil and gas clients, Alex has worked on a variety of alternative energy developments and has experience helping both operators and landowners negotiate carbon capture and sequestration projects, wind leases, and solar leases.
Alex has been recognized by peers and clients among Best Lawyers Ones to Watch in Oil and Gas Law and among Mid-South Rising Stars in Energy and Resources Law.
Alex earned his J.D. and B.A. from the University of Mississippi.
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- Croft Institute for International Studies, University of Mississippi, B.A., 2008, cum laude
Alex and his family are active members of St. James’ Episcopal Church, where he serves as a Member of the Vestry.
Areas of Practice
Best Lawyers® Ones To Watch - Oil and Gas Law, 2021, 2022, 2023
Mid-South Rising Star® (by Thomson Reuters) Energy and Resources, 2019
Associate Cases Editor, Mississippi Law Journal, 2012–2013
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- ABA SEER Forest Resources Committee – Membership Vice-Chairman
- Mississippi Oil and Gas Lawyers Association, President, 2016-2017; Vice-President, 2021-2022
- Mississippi Association of Petroleum Landmen, Associate Director, 2017; 2021
- Sixteenth Triennial Mississippi Oil and Gas Law Seminar, Co-Chairman, 2017
- Fractional Royalty or a Fraction of Royalty Interest?, Mississippi Oil and Gas Lawyers Association
- Surface Use, Access, and Related Operator Liability Issues, Mississippi Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Easements, Adverse Possession, and Trespass, Forestry Law Presentation for Mississippi Association of Consulting Foresters
- Leasing: Wildlife and Oil and Gas, Forestry Law Presentation for Mississippi Association of Consulting Foresters