No matter the nature of the case I’m handling, I’m able to understand the key issues quickly, distinguish my client’s interests, and then identify effective legal strategies that mesh with their overall business goals. As a trial lawyer, I reveal myself to judges and juries as a good honest broker by acknowledging relevant aspects of both sides of a case, not just my side, and by credibly explaining why my side should win. I’m candid and reasonable, and I always treat clients the way I’d like to be treated.
Don McKinney represents clients in all kinds of general and commercial litigation, including contract disputes, construction defects, professional liability and licensure, product liability, and toxic exposure among others. With extensive and diverse jury trial experience in the federal and state courts of Louisiana and Arkansas, Don crafts persuasive trial strategies and develops expert testimony to support his client’s position and successfully challenge his opponent’s. Don’s extensive litigation experience has led to numerous awards, including election to the American College of Trial Lawyers.
With over 25 years of trial experience, Don maintains a keen awareness of the toll litigation can take on the people and companies involved. He never loses sight of the idea that not only money but professional and corporate reputations are at stake, and he takes care to operate with sensitivity towards all parties in a dispute. In experiencing the sting of litigation expenses, clients often believe the system is designed to make them spend a lot of money and don’t feel confident they’ll receive a fair and just ruling. To help alleviate their concerns, Don reassures clients of his capabilities and experience and lets them know he takes every opportunity to keep costs under control.
In matters where judgment calls are second-guessed after something goes wrong — such as in a toxic tort or construction defect case where harm occurs even though standards of care were met, or in a legal malpractice case where a matter was resolved unfavorably for the party filing the complaint — Don defends his clients by showing that their original decisions were reasonable and appropriate.
“ I know how to pinpoint the critical components of a case quickly and execute legal strategies efficiently. I never perform unnecessary work and always respect the client’s money as if it were my own. ”
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock William H. Bowen School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Vanderbilt University, Ph.D., 1992
- Hendrix College, B.A., 1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Health Care
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Top Rated General Litigation Attorney in New Orleans, 2022
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Health Care 2007, 2011, 2013-2019, 2021-2022
- Top Rated Lawyer in Health Care - American Lawyer Media, Martindale-Hubbell™, 2013
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Arkansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Center for Professional Responsibility)
- Defense Research Institute (Lawyers' Professionalism and Ethics Committee)
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Louisiana Chapter – Past State President
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow; Louisiana State Committee – Past State Chair
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Past Chair of the Legal Ethics and Professionalism Committee