I treat my clients’ problems as my own, their money as my own and, importantly, their reputation and business concerns as my own. Clients understand that I do not control the facts that come to me and I do not control the law that applies. What I do control, though, is the manner in which I present our defenses. I do so aggressively – with the idea that the other side will quit before I do, no one will be more prepared than I am, and if the opposing side chooses to be unreasonable, we will be prepared for trial.
Jannea Rogers, an experienced litigator and trial lawyer, has advised clients in civil and complex commercial litigation in Alabama, Florida and Georgia since 1989. She defends clients in cases involving construction defects, product and premises liability, professional malpractice, health care facilities (nursing, assisted living, and hospice), D&O liability and insurance coverage, and commercial liability, including bad faith claims and transportation and marine litigation. Jannea handles all phases of representation from initial investigation through trial and appeal.
She represents owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and materialmen in disputes related to defects in construction as well as personal injury claims associated with construction defects. In the transportation sector, Jannea represent drivers, owners and operators of long- and short-haul trucking in litigation associated with motor vehicle accidents. She also defends a full range of professionals in malpractice cases, including accountants, architects, engineers, and attorneys in professional lines claims as well as brokers, agents, and directors and officers. She also represents manufacturers, distributors, retailers and owners in response to product liability claims. Jannea also represents clients in litigation regarding credit collection practices, including alleged violations of the TCPA.
- Representation of manufacturers in defense of their products, not only for design and defect claims, but also warning, labeling and instruction claims, marketing representation, as well as breach of warranty and recall claims
- Representation of individuals and businesses in the design and construction industries in personal injury, premises and professional liability, and construction defect litigation, including property damage and defect claims, breach of warranty claims as well as contract claims including bond, retainage and payment disputes, mechanics liens and disputes among project parties
- Representation of both plaintiff and defendant in commercial litigation disputes between and on behalf of companies including claims for bad faith, fraud, intentional interference with business relations, fair debt collection practices, directors and officers liability, contract, management and ownership disputes among shareholders/members
- Representation of professionals including accountants, architects, attorneys, engineers, directors & officers, insurance agents, brokers and carriers including issuance of coverage opinions and pursuit of declaratory judgment and defense of bad faith failure to investigate or pay claims, and defense of securities fraud claims
- Defense of personal injury matters for individuals and companies ranging from minor property damage disputes to paraplegic/death claims in senior health care, home health, child care, retail and premises owners
- Representation of transportation industry members including trucking companies, owners, operators, drivers, lessors for claims of personal injury or property damage associated with motor carriers and their operations
- Defense of property owners, managers for injury claims associated with security issues and third-party crime, pest control and infestation issues.
Jannea is the published author of a white paper for the AIA Trust as well as trial tactic articles for trade publications including the American Journal of Trial Advocacy and DRI.
- Duty to Defend, Contribution Among Insurers, and Coverage Exhaustion: A Fifty State Survey, 2011 ed., MC Consultants 17th Annual West Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference, San Diego, CA, Sept. 9, 2011.
- Challenging Your Opponent's Expert: Due Diligence Is Key, Trials and Tribulations, Newsletter of the DRI Trial Tactics Committee, Winter 2010 (co-author with Nicholas Morisani).
- The A.B.C.'s of E-Data, a white paper, The AIA Trust, May 2008.
- Alabama Construction Lien Law, Lorman Educational Services, Mobile, AL, April 27, 2000.
- U.S. v. Andrews, Conspirators May Go It Alone These Days, Amer. J. of Trial Advcy., Vol. 12:3 Summer, 1989.
- Cumberland School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Universität Heidelberg School of Law, 1989
- Spring Hill College, B.S., 1985
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Adams and Reese HUGS Coordinator for American Cancer Society event
- Chili Cookoff, Chair (2005-present)
- Mystic Society, Member (2005-present)
Areas of Practice
- Certified Litigation Management Professional, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, 2016
- Awarded the Designation of Certified Claims Professional in Construction (C.C.P. Construction)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Advisors (2012-2015)
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, Ambassador (2000-2017)
- Mobile Bar Association, Member (1991-present)
- Women Lawyers Section, Mobile Bar Association, Board of Advisors (2016-2018)
- Mobile Bar Association committee and section Assignments: Federal Civil Practice Section, Constitution and By-Laws committee, Civil Practice Section, Professional Relations Committee, Law Day Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Association
- Wills for Heroes program participant (2004-present)
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project coordinator (2005-present)
- Alabama State Bar Task Force (2018-2019)
Jannea is a frequent speaker for legal and industry groups on a variety of practice area topics, including electronic data management, mechanic liens, coverage issues, construction defect claims, trial tactics and legal surveys. She also frequently presents in-house seminars for clients on specialized topics.
- Disasters in the Making – Litigation Impacts from Fire, Flood and Hurricanes, West Coast’s Casualty Construction Defect Seminar (Anaheim, CA, May 9, 2019)
- Bad Facts Make Bad Dreams and Bad Law: Coverage Nightmares We Lose Sleep Over, Moderator, 2019 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar (Tucson, AZ, February 28, 2019)
- Taming the Beast In Monster Defect Cases: A Discussion of Emerging Issues in Document and Information Management in Construction Claims, Panelist and Moderator, Business Insurance & Construction Conference (Chicago, IL, September 26-28, 2018
- CLM Claims College, School of Construction; Executive Counsel and Faculty Member Construction School (Baltimore MD, September 5-8, 2018)
- Tips, Tactics and Technology: Avoiding a Crash at Trial, Panelist and Moderator, Midwest Conference: Transportation (Chicago IL, June 14-15, 2018)
- Coverage Nightmares, Panelist and Moderator; CLM Business Insurance and Construction Conference (San Diego, CA, October 9-11, 2017)
- Executive Counsel and Faculty Member Construction School: CLM Claims College, School of Construction (Baltimore MD, September 5-9, 2017)
- National Groundhog Day: Negotiating Settlement Agreements to Avoid Re-Litigation, Panelist, CLM Business Insurance and Construction Conference (San Diego, CA, September 28-30, 2016)
- Executive Counsel and Faculty Member Construction School; CLM Claims College, School of Construction (Baltimore MD, September 7-10, 2016)
- Graduate and recipient CLMP designation; Litigation Management Institute, CLM (Chicago, IL, September 2016)
- MC Consultants Annual East Region Construction Litigation & Insurance Coverage conference, Moderator and Panelist (Orlando, FL, June 2015)
- Beware Tort of Another and Attorney Fee Awards, Panelist, 2014 Annual Meeting (Key West, FL, June 3-5, 2015)
- A View from the bench: Federal and State Judges, Panel 1 and 2, Moderator, 2nd National Forum on Construction Claims and Litigation Conference (New York City, NY, February 24-25, 2015) ( Also served as Co-Chair)
- East Region Advisory Board; MC Consultants Annual East Region Construction Litigation & Insurance Coverage conference, 2012-15
- Top 10 East Region Coverage Decisions of the Year and Their Impact on You!, Panelist, MC Consultants 8th Annual East Region Construction Litigation and Insurance Coverage Conference (Orlando, FL, June 25-27, 2014)
- CD Professionals Discuss Current Coverage and Trends by Region, Moderator and Panelist, MC Consultants 7th Annual East Region Construction Defect & Insurance Coverage Conference (Orlando, FL, June 19-21, 2013)
- Professional Liability Seminar, Panelist, Adams and Reese Client Presentation (Deerfield, IL, August 2012)
- Current Challenges Facing East Region CD Markets, Panelist and Moderator, MC Consultants 6th Annual East Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference (Boca Raton, FL, June 8, 2012)
- Duty to Defend, Contribution Among Insurers, and Coverage Exhaustion: A Fifty State Survey, 2011 ed; Claims Handling Panel, MC Consultants Fifth Annual East Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference (Boca Raton, FL, June 7, 2011)
- Current Challenges Facing the Construction Defect Arena, A Survey of the East Region, 2012, Panelist and Moderator, MC Consultants 6th Annual East Region Construction Defect and Insurance Coverage Conference (Boca Raton, FL, June 6, 2011)
- Duty to Defend, Contribution among Insurers, and Coverage Exhaustion A Fifty State Survey, 2010 ed, Panelist, MC Consultants Fourth Annual East Region Construction Defect and Insurance Conference (Boca Raton, FL, June 5, 2010)
- Technology in a Complex World: A Legal Perspective on Managing Electronic Data Destruction, Dissemination and Discovery, Presenter, The American Institute of Architects, Inc. National Convention (San Francisco, CA, April 30, 2009)
- Lunch and Learn Electronic Discovery, Panelist, A&R Private Presentation (Simsbury Conn, Sept. 2008)
- The ABC's of E-Discovery, A&R Private Presentation, Panelist, (Dallas, TX, March 2008) (Little Rock, AR, April 2008)
- Cross your T's & Dot Your I's: Defensive Documentation in a Risky World, Presenter, Private Presentation (Orange Beach, Alabama, November 15, 2007)
- Avoiding an "F" in E-Discovery, Presenter, The 46th Annual Meeting of Invited Attorneys sponsored by Victor O. Schinnerer & Company, Inc., CNA Insurance Company, The American Institute of Architects and Professional Engineers in Private Practice (A Division of NSPE) (Chicago, IL, May 16, 2007)
- Updates in the Law, Panelist, A&R Private Presentation (San Antonio, TX, May 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)
- Updates in the Law, Panelist, A&R Private Presentation (Dallas, TX, November 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004)