I pride myself on fully understanding a client's objectives at the outset of an engagement. I spend the time, effort and resources required to study the client's documents, listen to the client's explanation and analyze the opponent’s goals. Assessing the issues of the matter and focusing on the client's business is critical to fashioning a strategy and ultimately a solution for the client's legal challenges, whether the means to the end is litigation or negotiation as the case and client may reasonably require.
John Duck is ranked Band 2 in Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law in Louisiana by Chambers USA.
With more than 41 years of experience, John Duck represents financial institutions and other creditors in all aspects of creditors’ rights litigation, primarily in the bankruptcy practice area. His clients have included creditors and lessors committees, bankruptcy trustees, bankruptcy court-appointed examiners and commercial Chapter 11 debtors. His practice focuses on creditors’ rights, loan workouts and restructuring, troubled asset management and dispositions, bankruptcy proceedings and related commercial and bankruptcy litigation.
John has successfully confirmed many Chapter 11 reorganization plans in various industries, ranging from oil and gas assets, marine operations, technology, commercial real estate and hospitality, to franchising operations. He has successfully litigated numerous complicated cases involving fraud committed against lenders and creditors. He represents clients across the southeastern United States where he is admitted to practice in numerous federal districts.
In keeping with the firm’s commitment to community service, John is the immediate past chairman of the New Orleans Ballet Association Board of Directors. He also serves on the Men of Fashion Board, which helps sponsor the activities of the New Orleans Ballet Association and its work to provide free dance lessons to the children and elderly in the community. Men of Fashion recognizes men and women in the community for their public service. Previously, he served on the Board of the Urban League of New Orleans for a number of years and was the Urban League’s board vice-chair as well.
I enjoy handling case documents, structuring arguments and making other preparations for trial, and then I especially like advocating for my clients in the courtroom. I greatly admire the members of our state and federal judiciary who make the difficult decisions every day to bring a sense of fair play and justice to our communities.
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1980
- University of Southern Mississippi, B.S., 1977
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- Chambers USA - Recognized Practitioner in Bankruptcy/Restructuring: Louisiana, 2013-2023
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Leadership in Law - New Orleans CityBusiness, 2006
- Leadership in Law - New Orleans CityBusiness, 2011
- Best Lawyers® - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, International Mergers & Acquisitions
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Bankruptcy: Business 2007-2020, 2023
- Great Gentleman - East Jefferson General Hospital, 2008
- University of Southern Mississippi Alumni Association - Lifetime Member
- Men of Fashion - Prix D'Elegance Awards, New Orleans Ballet Association, 2011
- New Orleans Ballet Association: Board Chair 2015 – 2019; Immediate Past Chair 2019 - Present; Vice-Chair Governance 2013 – 2015; Vice-Chair Board Development 2008 – 2013; Vice-Chair 2005 – 2008
- Young Leadership Council Role Model, Class of 2013
- New Orleans' Top Lawyers, New Orleans Magazine, 2017, 2020
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law