Kindness is often underrated and underappreciated. I make a conscious effort to conduct my practice with kindness always at the forefront of my communications. Having been raised as an athlete, I utilize my competitive edge coupled with my litigation and bankruptcy background to exceed expectations and strive for favorable outcomes for my clients while exhibiting the highest degree of professionalism and civility.
Lauren A. Baio is an Associate in the Adams and Reese Washington, D.C. office practicing primarily in Financial Services, including commercial restructuring and bankruptcy, and commercial litigation.
Before joining Adams and Reese, Lauren was corporate counsel at Sodexo, Inc., a Fortune Global 500 company providing food, alcohol, and facilities management services globally. In that role, she served as bankruptcy and commercial litigation counsel to the company at its North America headquarters in Maryland.
Prior to Sodexo, Lauren was an attorney at GrayRobinson, P.A. in its Washington, D.C., and Tampa offices handling bankruptcy, debt workout, consumer protection, and litigation matters on behalf of financial institutions, businesses, and governmental entities. In addition to her bankruptcy and commercial background, Lauren started her legal career with Allstate staff counsel in Tampa, Florida, as a trial attorney handling insurance defense matters.
Lauren is an appointee to The Florida Bar Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee where she serves as the liaison to the Judicial Nominating Committee for the Second District Court of Appeal.
Lauren earned her J.D. from Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport, Florida, and was the Assistant Executive Editor on Stetson Law Review. During law school, she focused her studies primarily in bankruptcy; was a Research Assistant for her Research and Writing professor; served as an extern to the Department of Justice Office of the U.S. Trustee; and was an extern to the late Honorable Michael G. Williamson, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Middle District of Florida. Additionally, Lauren received several honors including the American Bankruptcy Institute Medal Award for Excellence in Bankruptcy Studies; Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society; Book Award in Research & Writing; Best Oralist in the Carlton Fields Appellate Advocacy Competition; and the Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association Judge Alexander Paskay Scholarship. Lauren continues to give back to her alma mater as a Law Review and alumni mentor to current law students, and serves as a practice judge for Stetson’s Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Competition teams.
“ There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. ”
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2017, Stetson Law Review, Assistant Executive Editor, Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society
- Rollins College, B.A., 2011, Political Science
- District of Columbia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
Areas of Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Washington, D.C. Network - Communications Board
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Bankruptcy Litigation Committee
- Young & New Members Committee
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors - Out of State Seat
- Business Law Section - Bankruptcy/UCC Committee
- Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee - Liaison to the Judicial Nominating Commission for the Second District Court of Appeal
- Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Women’s Congressional Golf Association
- Achieving dismissal with prejudice on behalf of a governmental entity in an Equal Protection Clause action brought by a residential home builder in the U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida (Weekley Homes, LLC v. Bd. of County Commissioners, 8:20-CV-03103-AEP, 2022 WL 2066107, M.D. Fla., June 8, 2022).
- Handling the interests of secured and unsecured creditors in chapter 7, 13, and 11 bankruptcies nationwide, including unsecured creditors’ committee representation, claims preparation and objections, adversary proceedings, and avoidance actions.
- Advising corporate executives on litigation and bankruptcy risks throughout multiple segments, including government contract procurement and bid protests, patent infringement matters, healthcare and facility management, and university and sports complex contracts.
- Handling commercial litigation matters including the defense of consumer protection actions involving the FCRA, TCPA, TILA, and FDCPA, debt-workout matters, and contract disputes.
- Serving as general counsel to quasi-governmental entities and other special districts, municipalities, and counties, handling litigation matters on their behalf.