My diverse background stemming from working in product quality control for a material supplier through my years as a litigator representing construction firms has given me a unique perspective in identifying and understanding clients’ needs and objectives in an ever-changing environment.
Mason Pokorny practices primarily in construction law and workers’ compensation compliance. He represents clients in matters pertaining to contract review, drafting, negotiation, lien law, bond law, building code violations, construction defect litigation, OSHA defense, bid protest litigation, workers’ compensation compliance and contractor licensing.
Mason is recognized by his peers among the Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars and Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch in Construction Law, Labor and Employment Law: Management and Workers’ Compensation Law: Employers.
Mason grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, where his father owned and operated a small insurance administration business and his mother worked at Tremco, Inc., a manufacturer of roofing and waterproofing systems, among other things. While in college, Mason worked for an industrial material supplier in Cleveland in the product quality control department, and thereafter, assisted National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as an independent contractor on a building renovation at the John Glenn Research Center. Mason continues to utilize his diverse employment background and experience in his representation of clients.
After graduating from law school, Mason began his career as a licensed Florida attorney at a civil defense firm where his practice focused on the representation of employers and insurance carriers in litigation of workers’ compensation, employment law and contract-related matters. Thereafter, Mason worked for several years at a civil litigation firm specializing in construction-related matters.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2013
- University of Tampa, B.S., 2010, cum laude
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Palma Ceia Little League, former volunteer coach
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay, former volunteer
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Construction Law, Labor and Employment Law – Management, Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers, 2021-2022
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018-2021
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite Up & Comer, 2017-2020
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Florida Roofing, Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors Association
- National Roofing Contractors Association
- Pinellas County Contractors Association
- West Coast Roofing Contractors Association
- Palm Beach County Roofing Contractors Association
- Central Florida Roofing Contractors Association
- Roofing Contractors of South Florida Association
- Florida Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Contractors Association
- National Association of the Remodeling Industry
- Construction Partners of Tampa Bay
- Successfully defended an appeal by a customer on a claim for attorney’s fees under Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act in Money v. Home Performance Alliance, Inc., 313 So.3d 783 (2nd DCA 2021).
- Negotiated a six-figure settlement in a lawsuit involving a Miller Act bond claim on behalf of a subcontractor on a federal project.
- Successfully petitioned an Amended Penalty Assessment issued by the Florida Division of Workers’ Compensation against a roofing contractor that resulted in the rescission of a penalty in the amount of close to $200,000.
Problems and Pitfalls with Using Professional Employer Organizations or Working with Someone Who Does”, Florida Roofing Magazine, May 2019