I am experienced identifying, facilitating, and securing federal congressionally-directed spending through the budget and appropriations process as well as both federal and state grant funding, specifically as such relates to economic development projects and client priorities. I have represented hospital systems, non-profits, institutions of higher education and charter school clients, port, airport, and housing authorities, and other governmental entities including water and sewer authorities, utilities boards and industrial development boards.
Michael A. Berson has developed and implemented federal policy and legislative funding and political strategies for defense, energy, telecommunications, higher education and local government clients on Capitol Hill and within various governmental agencies. He formerly served as Director of Government Affairs and Associate General Counsel of the National Small Business Association in Washington, D.C. In this role, Michael oversaw all legislative activities including prioritization of issues, development of policy positions and formulation of strategies to advance small business interests before Congress and the White House. He focused on economic development, energy, environmental and regulatory affairs matters.
Michael clerked for The Honorable John R. Lockett, 13th Judicial Circuit in Mobile, working on all matters related to the Judge’s civil docket. While in law school, he was a board member of the Cordell Hull Speakers’ Forum, Dean’s List and Scholar of Merit Recipient.
- Cumberland School of Law Samford University, J.D., 2006
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A., 2002
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® - Government Contracts, Government Relations Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, Chair of the State Government Affairs Committee
- Innovation PortAL, Member, Board of Directors
- Alabama District Export Council, Member
- Alabama World Trade Association, Board of Directors
- Disaster Assistance in the Wake of Hurricane Ida: Low-Interest SBA Loans for Businesses and Individuals, Adams and Reese Client Alert, Sept. 2021, Co-author
- Win or Lose, When the Dust Settles: What Businesses and Key Alabama Sectors Should Expect After The Election, Business Council of Alabama, December 8, 2020