I am experienced in government relations as well as economic development and city, county and local government law. I have represented housing authorities, non-profits, education and charter school clients, and other governmental entities including water and sewer authorities, utilities boards and industrial development boards.
Michael A. Berson has developed and implemented federal policy and legislative strategies for defense, energy, telecommunications, higher education and local government clients on Capitol Hill and within various governmental agencies. He formerly served as Director of Government Affairs and Associate General Counsel of the National Small Business Association in Washington, D.C. In this role, Michael oversaw all legislative activities including prioritization of issues, development of policy positions and formulation of strategies to advance small business interests before Congress and the White House. He focused on economic development, energy, environmental and regulatory affairs matters.
Michael clerked for The Honorable John R. Lockett, 13th Judicial Circuit in Mobile, working on all matters related to the Judge’s civil docket. While in law school, he was a board member of the Cordell Hull Speakers’ Forum, Dean’s List and Scholar of Merit Recipient.
- Cumberland School of Law Samford University, J.D., 2006
- University of Florida, B.S.B.A., 2002
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® - Government Contracts, Government Relations Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce, Chair of the State Government Affairs Committee
- Innovation PortAL, Member, Board of Directors
- Alabama District Export Council, Member
- Disaster Assistance in the Wake of Hurricane Ida: Low-Interest SBA Loans for Businesses and Individuals, Adams and Reese Client Alert, Sept. 2021, Co-author
- Win or Lose, When the Dust Settles: What Businesses and Key Alabama Sectors Should Expect After The Election, Business Council of Alabama, December 8, 2020