For more than 30 years, I have served as trusted workout and documentation counsel to banking clients. I enjoy helping clients resolve thorny commercial lending matters with intensity, efficiency, and dignity.
Nick Schandlbauer represents financial institutions in matters relating to the initial documentation, amendment, restructure, bankruptcy, and workout of commercial credit facilities, including representing both lead and participant institutions in syndicated credits for national and state banks. These types of loans often involve advanced technology, health care, real estate, asset-based lending, and government contracts lending. Nick also helps clients with lending issues involving high-end equipment leasing.
With responsibility for matters ranging from $5 million to $2.125 billion that involve both privately held and publicly traded borrowers, Nick has extensive experience with various types of commercial restructuring and bankruptcy cases. When a client needs his help navigating the complexities of the Bankruptcy Code, Nick draws upon his background to help clients find an optimal path forward.
Nick’s practice also involves representing financial institutions in lender liability actions. His trial and appellate experience with these matters includes state and federal courts across the nation.
Nick has conducted dozens of commercial property foreclosures involving real estate collateral located in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. He has represented secured lenders' interests in bankruptcy proceedings across the country.
An accomplished litigator, Nick has considerable first-chair experience representing banks, corporations, and individuals in commercial litigation. Clients call upon Nick to lead them through high-stakes, high-profile matters in regional and national courts.
- Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1990, Dickinson Law Review, Projects Editor; Woolsack Honor Society; Appellate Moot Court Board
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1986
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
Areas of Practice
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers (2014, 2016)
- Washington, DC Legal Leaders, Wall Street Journal (2015 to date)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of Maryland
- District of Columbia Bar Association; Financial Institutions Subcommittee of the Corporation, Chair; Finance and Securities Law Section (2001–2003)