I gain a lot of satisfaction from counseling companies of all sizes but particularly multinationals with brands and business interests around the world – showing them how to manage and protect their intellectual property better and enhance their bottom line. My team and I do that strategically, creatively and collaboratively with clients. My reward comes when a general counsel thanks me and adds, “You revolutionized what we’re doing.”
Frequently honored for his national and international service to clients, Reber “Mitch” Boult represents a wide range of clients in multi-jurisdictional IP litigation and serves as lead advisor on branding campaigns throughout Asia, Europe and North America. Drawing on years of experience helping companies extend their brands into new markets, Mitch crafts practical and efficient strategies to navigate past the issues that arise and helps that expansion go smoothly.
With more than 9,000 trademarks under management, Mitch and his team devise commercial and legal tactics to drive brand value, fortify brand strength and lower the cost of global trademark portfolios. Mitch also represents clients embroiled in domain name disputes and in proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). In these matters, he’s known for using creative approaches and achieving improbable outcomes.
Often clients turn to Mitch for his global management guidance when they grow their companies by acquisition and have several operating facilities around the world, each with its own IP portfolio. He identifies opportunities to pull everything together under a unified strategy. Additionally, when a company makes such a move, finances and brand reputations sometimes take a hit, requiring Mitch to step in. He uses his deep knowledge base and diverse skill sets to stop revenue from hemorrhaging and reputations from being damaged by infringement, counterfeiting and other means. He works hard to improve the client’s balance sheet and its market status.
Sometimes Mitch takes on litigation that a client’s previous law firm dismissed as unwinnable, identifies innovative litigation tactics and effectively deploys them in the courtroom or around the negotiation table.
In today’s complex global economy, clients face many challenges. Mitch guides them through the byzantine web of regulatory compliance issues both domestically and internationally, including the new European data and privacy directives. He advises them on E-commerce and data privacy concerns, and helps them protect their intellectual property from the incredibly sophisticated ways, often online, that people now have to monetize IP rights owned by others.
Clients value that Mitch can offer quick but thorough advice over the phone or in an email with practical measures that can be implemented without the need for research or delay. He has the ability to provide answers that aren’t overly legalistic, walking clients through minefields without incident or, conversely, helping them seize opportunities to advance their interests.
As an undergraduate, Mitch studied English literature, and he continues to be an avid reader of both fiction and history, which often informs the way he practices law.
“ Fortune favors the bold. ”
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1985
- Tulane University, B.A., 1982
Areas of Practice
- IP Trailblazers (The National Law Journal, ALM, Law.com), 2023
- WTR 1000 (by World Trademark Review), 2023
- Chambers USA - Recognized Practitioner in Intellectual Property: Tennessee, 2019-2023
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Copyright Law, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Patent, Patent Law, Trademark Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Intellectual Property, International 2006-2010
- Best of the Bar - Nashville Business Journal, 2014-2015
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Trademark Law, 2013
- Lexology Client Choice Award - Intellectual Property/Trademarks - Tennessee, 2013
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property - "Guide to the Leading IP Firms and Attorneys in the United States," 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2022
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- International Trademark Association, Emerging Issues Committee
- Director, Stung Treng (Cambodia) Women's Development Center
- Allen Foundation, Trustee
- International Trademark Association, Fair Use and Other Boundaries Subcommittee