It takes a particular vigor and focus to craft and implement strategies for clients that drive results. Clients retain me not only because I am accessible and reliable, but also because I bring energy to my practice and take their matters personally. It is essential to understand what keeps clients and their legal teams awake at night and to evaluate issues thoroughly, plan successful strategies, and help them seize opportunities.
Richard Aguilar is ranked Band 2 in both Bankruptcy/Restructuring Law and Litigation: General Commercial in Louisiana Chambers USA.
Ricardo “Richard” Aguilar has extensive experience with and comprehensive knowledge of commercial and business matters. Richard advises clients on a wide range of business and commercial issues, including, but not limited to, creditors’ rights, lender liability issues and cases, construction contracts and related disputes, estate and trust disputes, real estate contract and lease matters, and contractual and unfair trade practices claims. Richard also advises clients on matters related to bankruptcy, shareholder’s rights, claims against officers and directors, derivative actions, reorganization, and high-consequence business and commercial litigation.
His broad experience and understanding also allows him to serve clients in connection with the negotiation and management of a wide array of loan and lease obligations, including, when necessary, the restructuring of such obligations and enforcement of lenders’ and lessors’ rights and remedies. The enforcement of such rights and remedies may involve foreclosures and the recovery of leased property and equipment. Richard is routinely involved in restructuring and enforcement efforts concerning all types of businesses, including manufacturing firms, retailers, service companies, energy companies, and energy-related service companies, and all types of collateral such as hotels, office buildings, shopping centers and malls, multifamily housing projects, and all forms of other tangible and intangible assets, such as accounts, inventory, and all other types of UCC collateral, industrial, medical and other equipment, vehicles, vessels, and perishables, such as seafood.
- Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., 1986
- Louisiana State University, B.S., 1983
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- Louisiana State University Greater New Orleans Advisory Board
Areas of Practice
- Chambers USA - Recognized Practitioner in Bankruptcy/Restructuring: Louisiana and General Commercial: Louisiana, 2019-2023
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation – Bankruptcy. Litigation - Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation - Real Estate, Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Litigation Counsel of America- Fellow in The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year New Orleans Litigation- Banking & Finance, 2017
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Business Litigation, 2016-2021, 2023
- New Orleans' Top Lawyers, New Orleans Magazine, 2013, 2014
- New Orleans CityBusiness “Ones to Watch” 2017
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law, 2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Commercial Finance Association’s Southwest Chapter
- Equipment Leasing and Finance Association
- Louisiana Bankers Association, Bank Counsel
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute