After 30+ years of practice, I have found that the best way to effectively represent a business client is to understand the business of the client. By knowing a client's business priorities, I can tailor my advice to put the client in the best legal position achieve business success.
When the need arises, I can also call on my colleagues at Adams & Reese for support in such specialty areas as tax, IP, real estate, banking and finance, and governmental affairs, not to mention every category of litigation, to assemble a team with the expertise needed to handle any legal issue a business might face.
Rob Welch is a Partner in the Adams and Reese Atlanta office, having practiced for more than 30 years in corporate services and transactions.
Rob focuses on representing buyers and sellers across multiple industries in mid-market M&A transactions.
Rob also serves as strategic outside counsel to mid-market companies, working closely with executives to address their day-to-day legal challenges and accomplish their long-term strategic goals.
Rob represents both for-profit and non-profit companies in a variety of industries, among them: medical device manufacturing and worldwide distribution, healthcare services, software and technology, industrial engineering, education, transportation, entertainment venue management, property management, industrial recycling, insurance claims management, staffing, and construction management.
Rob advises domestic and multi-national companies on transactions involving:
- Mergers, acquisitions and strategic joint ventures
- Domestic and international product manufacturing and distribution (countries include: China, Ireland, U.K., Spain, Canada, South Africa, Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Columbia, South Korea, Vietnam, Lebanon, and Oman)
- Intellectual property licensing
- Corporate finance and financial restructuring
- EU Medical Device Regulation (MDR) compliance
- Healthcare contracting for HIPAA-covered entities and business associates
- Regulatory compliance (including HIPAA and Medicare/Medicaid)
- Corporate compliance
- Secured borrowing
- Commercial real estate purchase and leasing
- Executive compensation
- Government contracting
- Friends and family, angel investment and venture capital funding
- Securities offerings (stock, convertible debt, etc.)
Early in his career, Rob practiced civil litigation, giving him valuable perspective in advising clients with regard to corporate risk management and litigation avoidance.
As an extension of his representation of closely-held businesses, Rob advises business owners on succession planning strategies and structuring appropriate trust and estate planning solutions. Whether succession planning means passing a business down through the family, a management-led buyout, or a sale to a third party, Rob’s understanding of the dynamics of business ownership gives him the insight needed to structure an effective succession plan.
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., 1989, cum laude
- Georgia State University, M.S., 1998, Finance
- State University of West Georgia, B.A., 1985
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Georgia
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association
M & A transactions:
- $66 Million Stock Sale - Represented sellers in all cash sale of property management company.
- $48 Million Stock Sale - Represented long-time telecommunications infrastructure client in sale (cash and stock) to publicly traded telecom company, then represented the same client in the following acquisitions:
- $20 Million Stock Purchase (cash and stock) of Georgia telecom engineering and network design company and 2 Indian Subsidiaries
- $2.5 Million Stock Purchase (cash and stock) of ﬁber optics installation company in Georgia.
- $1.9 Million Stock Purchase (cash and debt assumption) of broadband and wireless tech support provider.
- $34 Million Asset Sale - Represented HVAC contractor in sale of company to international private equity firm.
- $17.5 Million Stock Sale (cash plus earnout) - Represented owners of medical cost containment and utilization review business in sale to specialty private equity ﬁrm.
- Represented long-time oil recycling client in the following buy-side business and land acquisitions:
- $19 million asset purchase - Oil collection business with 9 locations in Maryland and Texas
- $6 million asset purchase - Tennessee oil collection business
- $7 Million Asset Sale (cash plus earnout) - Represented insurance brokerage ﬁrm in sale of assets to competitor.
Corporate finance and financial restructuring:
- Represented Continuing Care Retirement Community in $125 Million construction credit facility combining municipal bond, bank, and USDA government financing.
- Worked with German and US accountants to implement a corporate and financial restructuring of several U.S. subsidiaries of a large German corporation for the purpose of reducing the amount of inter-company debt on the books of the U.S. subsidiaries.
- Worked with Canadian and US accountants to restructure the investment of a Canadian corporation in a U. S. wholly owned subsidiary for the purpose of increasing the tax efficiency of the subsidiary.
- Implemented holding company/subsidiary restructuring for multi-state landfill operation.
- Represented client borrowers in multiple Revolving Note and Line of Credit loan facilities ranging from $10 Million to $50 Million.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in negotiating multiple joint-development and collaboration agreements.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of a large German corporation in a joint venture with a Venezuelan company to build a used oil recycling plant in Louisiana.
- Represented mid-sized Atlanta entertainment venue in negotiating co-management and co-promotion agreement with another local venue.