I’m generally assertive but also quite pragmatic as a practitioner. I inform clients of realistic options and provide them with the proper guidance and representation to help them obtain beneficial outcomes in furtherance of their aims.
In Scott Cheatham’s bankruptcy and commercial litigation practice, he represents clients in matters, disputes and claims involving oil and gas, construction, financial services, contracts, collections, and corporate governance. He has a national practice and client base with cases all over the United States. Scott has been heavily involved with maritime and oil and gas bankruptcies, frequently handling cases in Texas and Delaware. He also represents lenders in workout transactions, collection actions, foreclosures and bankruptcies in the Gulf South. He also represents commercial lessors in bankruptcy proceedings.
Scott advises individuals, small businesses, financial institutions, insurance carriers and large institutional organizations in a practice that has a national geographic reach. Scott closely follows commercial and geographic developments so he can most effectively counsel clients that are continually concerned about the state of specific industries.
Additionally, Scott is an investor in residential construction himself, and this activity provides him with hands-on experience in many of the issues that he addresses in the construction side of his practice.
“ I value the opportunities to meet the needs of my clients, while guiding them through the intricacies and complexities of the law. ”
- Paul M. Hebert Law Center of Louisiana State University, J.D., 2005
- Louisiana State University, B.S., 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Louisiana Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Business Litigation, 2014-2019
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Leadership Jefferson, Class of 2013