I represent individuals and entities in business matters from inception the inception of a matter through resolution of disputes. I am always honest and forthright with my clients in evaluating and counseling on a variety of business issues and problems. As a result of my experience, I believe I can evaluate issues that they have or may encounter, and assist them in making a rational determination of a reasonable outcome. Over my many years of practice, I have worked with clients both to avoid or minimize risks, and assist them in resolving conflicts after they arise.
Tom Dart focuses on business law, including construction-related matters. He advises large and small companies, including physician groups and other healthcare-related entities, accounting firms and a variety of other businesses in commercial matters. He also represents financial institutions in commercial loan workouts, loan restructurings and lender liability claims.
In addition, Tom handles numerous complex commercial litigation matters, corporate governance issues, employment litigation, construction-related matters and other business disputes, with extensive experience with restrictive covenants.
With more than 40 years of experience litigating cases and helping clients addressing business-related problems, Tom has gained the acumen to help companies and institutions facing a host of issues and conflicts. He has a history of assisting clients in avoiding risks, as well as resolving conflicts through negotiation and, if necessary, litigation.
Drawing on his broad knowledge base, Tom steers clients through the intricate web of issues that arise in complex, multi-party commercial cases in a variety of business settings.
“ As attorneys, we are required not to only be an advocate for our client in litigation matters, but also to be counselors whose job it is to avoid and solve disputes. We must continue to balance the demands of the profession and the expectations of our clients, while honoring our duty to uphold the law. ”
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1977
- University of Florida, B.A., 1973
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbel
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Sarasota Construction, 2021
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year- Sarasota Litigation - Construction, 2019
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Real Estate, 2018
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Construction, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Litigation - Real Estate, 2016
- Best Lawyers® - Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Real Estate
- Benchmark Litigation® – Local Litigation Star (Florida)
- 2017 Starfish Award - The Florida Center for Early Childhood Board of Directors
- Florida Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Business Litigation 2017-2019
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Florida Center for Child and Family Development, Former Chairman
- Gulf Coast Legal Services, Inc., Former Chairman
- Grievance Committee of the Florida Twelfth Judicial Circuit, Former Chairman
- Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Florida Bar, Past Vice-Chair
- Sarasota County Bar Association, Former President
- Manatee Chamber of Commerce
- Second District Court of Appeal, Judicial Nominating Commission
- The Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section, Executive Council
- The Argus Foundation, Board of Directors
- Represents of owners, contractors and subcontractors in a variety of construction disputes involving both residential and commercial matters.