The most exciting aspect of my practice is working with business owners and professionals and learning the intricacies of their particular businesses. Understanding how our clients do business is not only interesting, it better equips me to represent them when they are faced with regulatory concerns or litigation.
Tom focuses his practice on representing and advising clients in highly regulated industries with respect to regulatory law and business litigation. Tom represents clients in a variety of highly regulated industries, including the alcohol beverage industry, unmanned aviation, and environmental mitigation banking, among others. Tom interacts with government regulators and advises clients concerning regulatory compliance and licensure.
In litigation, Tom has experience litigating contract disputes, professional negligence claims, fiduciary duty claims, and lawsuits seeking injunctive relief. Tom regularly represents clients in civil litigation before Florida’s state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration.
While a law student, Tom interned for the Honorable Marcia G. Cooke of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida as well as the Honorable Spencer D. Levine of the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal. He was also a member of the UM Moot Court Board and the Inter-American Law Review. Tom placed first in the Evan A. Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition, a national competition judged by state Supreme Court justices and federal circuit court judges. He also participated in UM’s Litigation Skills Program and was awarded the Litigation Skills Faculty Scholarship for his performance. As an undergraduate, he interned for two summers in former Congressman Ron Klein’s Boca Raton and Washington, DC offices.
- What's Happening in Our Legal Practices Due to COVID-19, Association of Corporate Counsel North Florida Virtual Presentation, Sept. 24, 2020
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2014, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Auburn University, B.A., 2011, Political Science and History, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
Tom is actively involved in the community as a Board Member of ImpactJAX, the young professionals organization of the JAX Chamber, and as a Board Member of the Riverside Rotary Club. Tom is also a member of the Young Lawyers Section of the Jacksonville Bar Association.
- Best Lawyers® Ones To Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Ones to Watch, 2021 – Jacksonville Magazine
- Evan A. Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition, 1st Place, hosted by the University of Wisconsin Law School
- John T. Gaubatz Competition, Semi-Finalist, University of Miami School of Law
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Jacksonville Bar Association
- ImpactJax, 2020 & 2021 Board Member
- Rotary Club of Riverside Jacksonville, 2020 & 2021 Board Member
- Florida Association of Mitigation Bankers, Firm Membership
- Regulatory matters involving alcohol beverage licensure and compliance
- Representation of alcohol supplier in contractual dispute with wholesaler
- Representation of UAS operators regarding FAA compliance matters
- Representation of insurance broker in defense of claims of professional negligence seeking in excess of $60,000,000
- Representation of plaintiff in pursuit of multimillion dollar claims of professional negligence
- Litigation of multimillion dollar disputes involving wetland mitigation banks
- Representation of wetland mitigation banks with respect to regulatory compliance
- Administrative Proceedings under the Florida Administrative Procedures Act
- Appellate victory before Florida’s First District Court of Appeal on behalf of insurer related to insurance regulatory compliance
- Various lawsuits involving breach of contract claims, negligence claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims, and claims for injunctive relief