I have a broad litigation background which includes handling labor and employment, civil rights, appellate, banking and finance, and commercial litigation matters on the defense side.
Todd D. Engelhardt focuses his practice primarily on civil commercial litigation in labor and employment, banking and finance, and commercial matters. He has advocated on behalf of large and small employers at the administrative level, including drafting Equal Opportunity Employment Commission and Florida Commission on Human Relations position statements, litigating Unemployment Appeals Commission hearings, and responding to state and federal agency inquiries. Before attending law school, Todd spent 10 years working in different financial institutions in electronic commerce, lending, credit and debit cards, and operations management, including serving on a statewide fraud and forgery task force.
He most recently served as Assistant Director of Career Services for The University of Alabama School of Law. In this role, Todd provided career counseling and development services to UA Law students and alumni. He also worked to plan, publicize and implement UA Law career services programming. Prior to working at the law school, he worked as Director of the UA Pre-Law Program, where he implemented programming and provided career guidance and academic advice to more than 1,000 undergraduate pre-law students.
Todd received his J.D. magna cum laude from The Florida State University College of Law. While a law student, he participated in Moot Court and received multiple honors including membership into the Order of the Coif and Order of the Barristers.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude
- Florida State University, B.S. , 1992, Political Science
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
Areas of Practice
- Florida Rising Star® - Litigation
- Leadership Florida/Connect Florida, 2006
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Todd is active within the Birmingham Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute and the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. He was an active member for many years of the First District Appellate American Inn of Court and on the Florida Bar Standing Committee on Professionalism, previously serving as Co-Chair of the Random Acts of Professionalism Work Group.
- Served as an appellate attorney for a nationwide transactions and trial law firm and was heavily involved in trial level litigation and motion practice, including arguments before multiple state and federal courts, the Florida Public Service Commission, and the Florida Department of Agriculture.
- Spearheaded appellate work at a small boutique firm, drafting and arguing party and amicus briefs, petitions, and responses in four of Florida’s five District Courts of Appeal, the Florida Supreme Court, two federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, and The Supreme Court of the United States.
- Represented appellant in case that overturned a $1 million jury verdict in a state whistleblower and racial and religious discrimination case, which previously had been the largest public whistleblower jury award in state history. Florida Department of Children & Families v. Shapiro, 68 So.3d 298 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011), rev. denied Nov. 30, 2012.