I have a broad professional background which includes extensive experience in civil litigation, financial institutions, contract negotiation, corporate representation, and government relations.
Todd D. Engelhardt brought his considerable experience to Adams and Reese in 2016, where his varied practice includes representing employers in labor and employment disputes, advising and representing various entities in corporate matters, counseling financial institutions on compliance and operational issues, and litigating general commercial cases. He spent the first seven years of his legal career based in Tallahassee while practicing throughout Florida, and has maintained his membership in The Florida Bar to continue to service his Sunshine State clients despite relocating to central Alabama in 2012.
In the litigation context, Todd has argued at the administrative, trial, and appellate levels, ranging from drafting position statements at the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to authoring party briefs at the Supreme Court of the United States, with numerous hearings, trials, petitions, and appeals to his credit. He also routinely counsels entities on ways to avoid litigation, and has handled all types of formal and informal alternate dispute resolutions.
He has also served as corporate counsel for clients on both a regular and ad hoc basis. In that capacity Todd has represented water utilities, beer distributors, mobile home park owners, neighborhood associations, veterinary clinics, counties, and county agencies.
Todd received his J.D. magna cum laude from The Florida State University College of Law. While a law student he participated in Moot Court and received multiple honors, including membership into the Order of the Coif and Order of the Barristers. Before attending law school, Todd spent 10 years working in different financial institutions in electronic commerce, consumer lending, and operations management, and served on a statewide fraud and forgery task force.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude
- Florida State University, B.S. , 1992, Political Science
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
Areas of Practice
- Florida Rising Star® - Litigation
- Leadership Florida/Connect Florida, 2006
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Todd is active within the Birmingham Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute and the National Institute of Trial Advocacy. He was an active member for many years of the First District Appellate American Inn of Court and on the Florida Bar Standing Committee on Professionalism, previously serving as Co-Chair of the Random Acts of Professionalism Work Group.
- Bruner v. Hartsfield, 23 So.3d 192 (Fla. 1st Dist. Ct. App. 2009), cert. denied 37 So.3d 846 (Fla. 2010), cert. denied 562 U.S. 1062 (2010): Served as lead appellate counsel on behalf of Leon County Property Appraiser in taxpayer challenge to Florida Homestead provisions.
- Florida Department of Children & Families v. Shapiro, 68 So.3d 298 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011): Represented appellant in case that overturned a $1 million jury verdict in a state whistleblower and racial and religious discrimination case, which previously had been the largest public whistleblower jury award in state history.
- Served as a trial and appellate attorney for a nationwide transactions and trial law firm, representing clients before multiple state and federal courts, the Florida Public Service Commission, and the Florida Department of Agriculture.
- Served as a corporate counsel and trial and appellate attorney for boutique employment and government relations firm, representing government and business entities in various matters