I value efficiency, and I’m not one to “over-lawyer” matters. I like to cut to the chase and give clients my evaluation of the current status of their matter and where it’s headed. My motto is: Don’t interfere with the deal. In contract negotiations my clients know they can trust me to thoroughly inform them of risks and then go through a reasonable give-and-take until we come to an outcome that makes sense for them to sign-off on.
Jim Rogers’ practice encompasses transactions and litigation arising out of the exploration, development, production, transportation and regulation of oil and gas operations worldwide. He litigates matters ranging from personal injury and property damage claims to collisions, limitation of liability, reservoir and pipeline damage claims, contract disputes and marine and energy insurance coverage issues.
The transactions component of Jim’s practice originated with him handling various vessel construction agreements and now includes negotiating and drafting contracts for energy-related projects all over the world. He also helps clients formulate and implement their risk management programs, analyze insurance programs, and allocate risk in contracts.
Jim’s litigation experience informs his transactional work, and vice versa. His litigation background helps him quickly determine which contract provisions are essential, because he knows which issues tend to give rise to disputes and which ones tend to be inconsequential. When he negotiates a contract he can quickly figure out whether the lawyer on the other side has “real-world experience” because he has argued so many contractual elements in court.
Jim is ranked among Best Lawyers® in Admiralty and Maritime Law.
“ I like helping people resolve their problems, whether it’s putting a good deal together and getting a contract inked or determining the best way to get a client out of a situation that’s gone bad. ”
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 1992
- Tulane University, B.S.M., 1989
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® - Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Leadership in Law Honoree, 2017 - New Orleans CityBusiness
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Defense Research Institute
- Energy Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel