Having started my career as an insurance defense lawyer before focusing on employment law, I possess a detailed understanding of the needs of the insurance companies involved in employment practices litigation. While focused on the insured defendant, I am also able to satisfy the insurer’s requirements of prompt reporting, evaluating, and budgeting.
Leslie Lanusse is ranked Senior Statesman in Labor and Employment Law in Louisiana by Chambers USA.
Leslie Lanusse serves on the firm’s labor and employment team and draws on more than two decades of experience to advise clients in all phases of employee relations. Her client list includes numerous major insurers of employment practices liability.
Leslie handles claims arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act and state compensation commissions and defends FMLA claims, claims of discrimination before the EEOC and the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights and OSHA and environmental whistleblower claims before administrative agencies. Additionally, she defends employers in claims of violation of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and during investigations of compliance with wage and hour laws. She also litigates fiduciary liability claims in ERISA and directors’ & officers’ cases.
With significant trial experience in both federal and state courts, Leslie has acted as lead counsel in many big-dollar, high-profile cases. Examples include a commercial litigation matter involving breach of contract, a class action involving breach of employment contract claims and multi-plaintiff litigation involving racial harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims.
A significant part of Leslie’s practice involves advising clients on avoiding disputes and adhering to the rules governing management-employee relations. She drafts employment policies, trains clients in compliance and best practices and counsels organizations regarding employment issues, including implementation of affirmative action plans.
“ I’ve enjoyed developing the Labor and Employment team for the firm and bringing in new clients. ”
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of New Orleans, B.S., 1976
Areas of Practice
- Chambers USA - Recognized Practitioner in Labor & Employment: Louisiana, 2013-2023
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow - Litigation Counsel of America
- Best Lawyers® - Employment Law - Management, Insurance Law, Litigation - Labor and Employment
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Employment and Labor: Employer 2007-2019, 2022-2023
- BTI® Client Service All-Stars 2011-2017
- Leadership in Law, New Orleans CityBusiness, 2013
- Women of the Year, New Orleans CityBusiness, 2013
- New Orleans' Top Lawyers, New Orleans Magazine, 2017