The maritime and energy industries are inherently risky. It’s my job to help clients navigate legal issues encountered and to draft and then implement procedures that minimize future problems.
Practicing with the firm since 1971, Bob has more than three decades of experience representing clients in the environmental and oil and gas industries, both on and offshore. Admitted to practice in several states and federal jurisdictions, Bob has argued as lead counsel in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas and Florida. He has advised clients in hearings before the US Coast Guard and US Mineral Management Services (now Bureau of Ocean Energy Management).
As counsel for companies in the exploring, producing and/or transporting oil and gas industries, Bob has successfully handled surface trespass, subsurface blowouts, contractual disputes, personal injury and property damage matters. As a significant part of his practice, Bob represents clients who seek to mitigate or transfer future risks that might arise from unwanted events. In addition, he’s negotiated agreements regarding the construction and operation of vessels and platforms.
Bob drafted statutory language that was adopted by the Louisiana Association of Business and Industry to change Louisiana law away from “joint and solidary” liability. Now, Louisiana law generally limits a party’s responsibility to that portion of fault or negligence attributable to the individual party. Bob co-authored “Oilfield Risks in American Maritime Law,” an internal publication distributed to clients and friends of the firm.
“ Because I grew up in New Orleans and enjoy scientific principles, my practice was naturally drawn to the maritime and energy industries. I gain professional and personal satisfaction in helping clients fully understand and appreciate effective ways to minimize certain risks – by first employing clear contractual language which often includes indemnity agreements and then covering the reality of risks with insurance. ”
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1971
- Louisiana State University, B.A., 1965
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® (by BL Rankings, LLC) - Oil and Gas Law, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants Since 2005
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) General Litigation 2007-2012, 2014-2016
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Maritime Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- National Oceans Industry Association
- Defense Research Institute