Susan Eccles works closely with owners, contractors, subcontractors, sureties, insurance carriers, utilities and commercial enterprises, representing them in construction, regulatory, employment and government procurement, claims and disclosure matters. She guides contractors on regulatory compliance and licensing concerns, helping them through every step of a project and ensuring proper due diligence from every angle.
Working with government contractors, Susan is a trusted resource to provide guidance on contract terms, modifications, novation requirements, name change procedures, submission of certified claims and mandatory disclosure procedures.
She also assists clients with drafting contract documents, relying on her broad experience in the construction industry to help clients anticipate potential issues down the road right from a project’s start. When a client’s construction project doesn’t go as planned, Susan is on point to help resolve performance disputes and contract claims to keep projects moving forward.
In addition to her construction background, Susan is experienced in representing businesses and insurance companies in general litigation matters, preparing business formation and operation documents and advising sureties on resolving performance and payment bond claims in government and private construction projects.
Susan is also experienced in drafting, evaluating and litigating employment agreements, noncompetition agreements, and Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act matters whether related to employment termination, data rights and theft of data or trade disputes between commercial partners/competitors.
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 2005
- Loyola University, B.A., 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
Areas of Practice
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Louisiana Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) 2014–2019
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member, 2005 to present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2005 to present; Forum on the Construction Industry; Public Contract Law Section, Construction Committee Co-Chair; Surety and Fidelity Law Committee, Member, 2012 to present
- Federal Bar Association, Member, 2006 to present
- Baton Rouge Bar Association, Member, 2009 to present
- Louisiana Procurement Policies, National Business Institute
- Interplay Between Contractor, Surety, and the Government on Federal Construction Projects, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Subcontractor Concerns on a Federal Project, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Louisiana Insurance Bad Faith Claims, National Business Institute