I enjoy working with clients to help them achieve their objectives, from obtaining the requisite licenses to assisting them with harnessing new technologies, such as unmanned aircraft systems (drones).
Susan Eccles works closely with owners, contractors, subcontractors, surveyors, sureties, insurance carriers, utilities and commercial enterprises, representing them in construction, regulatory, employment, commercial litigation and government procurement, claims and disclosure matters.
She advises contractors on regulatory compliance and licensing concerns, helping them obtain the requisite Louisiana licenses and approvals prior to bidding or breaking ground on a project. Susan assists her clients in identifying and avoiding potential legal pitfalls and guides them through every step of a project and ensuring proper due diligence from every angle. When a client’s construction project doesn’t go as planned, Susan is on point to help resolve performance disputes and contract claims to keep projects moving forward. Susan has worked on and successfully resolved delay claims, unforeseen site conditions disputes, unauthorized material substitution claims, construction defect claims, bond tenders, project terminations, and engineering, surveying, and warranty claims.
Working with government contractors, Susan is a trusted resource to provide guidance on Federal Acquisition Regulation requirements, flow down provisions, contract modifications, novation requirements, name change procedures, releases, claims submissions, and mandatory disclosures. Susan has also successfully resolved construction disputes against the United States Government in both the United States Court of Federal Claims and the United States Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
In addition to her construction background, Susan is experienced in representing sureties, principals, and bond claimants in commercial surety and fidelity bond matters as well as advising drone service providers, end user operators, and governmental defense contractors.
- Expanding Opportunities for Drones on Construction Projects, Iberoamerican Drone Conference IDC 2020
- Coronavirus Impacts on Construction Projects
- Women in Drones, Commercial UAV Expo
- Ethics, National Business Institute
- Louisiana Procurement Policies, National Business Institute
- Interplay Between Contractor, Surety, and the Government on Federal Construction Projects, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Subcontractor Concerns on a Federal Project, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Louisiana Insurance Bad Faith Claims, National Business Institute
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 2005
- Loyola University, B.A., 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
Areas of Practice
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Louisiana Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Construction, 2014–2021
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry, Member; Public Contract Law Section, Council Member and Construction Committee Co-Chair; TIPS, Surety and Fidelity Law Committee, Member; Forum on Air and Space Law, Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Women in Drones
- Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
- DRONERESPONDERS Public Safety Alliance
- Represented Fortune 500 Contractor in establishing a Louisiana subsidiary and obtaining Louisiana construction licenses.
- Secured defense ruling and dismissal in a commercial breach of non-competition agreement dispute.
- Represented defense contractors in novating book of federal military construction work.
- Prepared and prosecuted certified claims on behalf of contractor and sureties on federal projects.
- Prosecuted subrogation claim on behalf of international insurer in connection with refinery explosion.
- Defended sureties on large loss claims relating to nonconforming work and delays on federal, state, and private projects, including actions alleging bad faith.
- Advised utilities with regard to matters pending before or subject to the jurisdiction of the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
- Defended and resolved bond claims made under payment, performance, commercial and fidelity bonds.
- Served as outside counsel for agencies of the State of Louisiana.
- Advised clients regarding utilization of unmanned aircraft and assisted with efforts to expand industry in Louisiana.
- Prosecuted and/or defended claims brought under the Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Advised employees and commercial enterprises regarding rights under non-competition and confidentiality agreements.