I enjoy working with clients to help them achieve their objectives, from obtaining the requisite licenses to assisting them with harnessing new technologies, such as unmanned aircraft systems (drones).
Susan Eccles works closely with owners, contractors, subcontractors, surveyors, sureties, insurance carriers, utilities and commercial enterprises, representing them in construction, regulatory, employment, commercial litigation and government procurement, claims and disclosure matters.
She advises contractors on regulatory compliance and licensing concerns, helping them obtain the requisite Louisiana licenses and approvals prior to bidding or breaking ground on a project. Susan assists her clients in identifying and avoiding potential legal pitfalls and guides them through every step of a project and ensuring proper due diligence from every angle. When a client’s construction project doesn’t go as planned, Susan is on point to help resolve performance disputes and contract claims to keep projects moving forward.
Working with government contractors, Susan is a trusted resource to provide guidance on contract terms, modifications, novation requirements, name change procedures, claims and submissions, and mandatory disclosures.
In addition to her construction background, Susan is experienced in representing drone service providers, end user operators, and defense contractors in resolving contractual, regulatory, and governmental concerns as well as working to expand drone awareness and utilization.
Susan’s knowledge of technology has proved invaluable in advising defense contractors, litigating Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act disputes, and resolving commercial surety and fidelity bond matters. Such matters include data rights and theft of data, supply bond claims, trade disputes between commercial partners/competitors, fraudulent acts, and claims against commercial contractors.
- Ethics, National Business Institute
- Louisiana Procurement Policies, National Business Institute
- Interplay Between Contractor, Surety, and the Government on Federal Construction Projects, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Subcontractor Concerns on a Federal Project, American Bar Association, Federal Procurement Institute
- Louisiana Insurance Bad Faith Claims, National Business Institute
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 2005
- Loyola University, B.A., 2002
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
Areas of Practice
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Louisiana Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2014–2019
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- ABA Public Contract Law’s Governing Council
- Women in Drones
- Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International
DRONERESPONDERS Public Safety Alliance
- American Bar Association, Forum on Air and Space Law – Drone Law Committee; Forum on the Construction Industry; Public Contract Law Section, Construction Committee Co-Chair; Surety and Fidelity Law Committee, Member
- Federal Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Represented Fortune 500 Contractor in establishing a Louisiana subsidiary and obtaining Louisiana construction licenses.
- Secured defense ruling and dismissal in a commercial breach of non-competition agreement dispute.
- Represented defense contractors in novating book of federal military construction work.
- Prepared and prosecuted certified claims on behalf of contractor and sureties on federal projects.
- Prosecuted subrogation claim on behalf of international insurer in connection with refinery explosion.
- Defended sureties on large loss claims relating to nonconforming work and delays on federal, state, and private projects, including actions alleging bad faith.
- Advised utilities with regard to matters pending before or subject to the jurisdiction of the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
- Defended and resolved bond claims made under payment, performance, commercial and fidelity bonds.
- Served as outside counsel for agencies of the State of Louisiana.
- Advised clients regarding utilization of unmanned aircraft and assisted with efforts to expand industry in Louisiana.
- Prosecuted and/or defended claims brought under the Louisiana Unfair Trade Practices Act.
- Advised employees and commercial enterprises regarding rights under non-competition and confidentiality agreements.