I represent clients at the intersection of business and government, focused on designing outcomes that align exactly with our clients’ priorities. All of Adams and Reese’s state government relations practices operate this way - each lawyer and lobbyist is laser-focused on exceeding our clients’ expectations.
Clients call Gif Thornton when they have an opportunity or problem related to Tennessee state government. Whether the General Assembly, the executive branch or administrative agencies, Gif counsels strategically with clients to craft solutions that advance their interests. Gif represents businesses, associations and governmental entities. His industry experience includes education, utilities, healthcare, insurance, transportation and communications.
If a client is new to Tennessee, needs a change in the law, has a new product or service to launch or a project that needs government approval, the decades-long relationships that Gif has with state and local leaders makes a difference in whether the client can proceed with its business plans and dreams.
Since 2015, Gif has served as Managing Partner for Adams and Reese. He challenges his partners on a daily basis to reach higher standards of excellence, manifested in exceptional client service and mutually successful long-term relationships. His vision is for Adams and Reese to fill the roles of zealous advocates and counselors, whether on their most important litigation or a game-changing transaction.
“ Every day our lawyers are handling transactions that redefine companies, navigating the treacherous waters of government regulation, or litigating matters that can make or break a company. We make it our business to understand clients’ businesses, pressures and priorities. ”
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1990
- Vanderbilt University, B.S., 1984
- Tennessee Bar
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year in Nashville – Government Relations, 2014
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year in Nashville – Insurance Law, 2020
- Best Lawyers® - Education Law, Government Relations, Health Care Law, Insurance Law
- Business TN® - Best 150 Lawyers in Tennessee - 2010
- 101 Top Lawyers - Nashville Post
- Nashville Post "In Charge," 2010-2019
- Best of the Bar - Nashville Business Journal - 2013-2019
- Pro Bono "Attorney For Justice" - Tennessee Supreme Court, 2014
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Governor's Counsel for Judicial Appointments, Chair
- Tennessee Business Leadership Council, Chair
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Lobbyists Association
- Christ Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Covenant Theological Seminary, Board Member